Tuesday, March 31, 2020

PC MC TV, rinse and repeat

Amazon.com: Netflix Mug - Netflix and Avoid People - Quality ...
Not to worry, my dear 7.5 readers, I haven't succumbed to either the corona virus, or to the much worse pandemic, the Coronomaniac Panic.

Today's posting is just a note about a common, and irritating subset of the Problem of the Problem of Islam.  I'll quote what I wrote in an essay here (PC MC TV) back in November of 2018:

. . . a recent Jihad Watch story reminded me of an old annoyance of mine -- namely, the prevalence of softballing / whitewashing the problem of Islam on cable series, television shows, Netflix shows, and various movies over the years.  

(In that essay I linked to a few of my previous postings on this subtopic.)

The other day, Jihad Watch posted a story on how a new Netflix series, "Messiah" (when did books, movies and TV shows eliminate the article "The" from their titles, exactly...? I'd guess some time in the 1990s; but I digress...) was supposedly cancelled because people complained about its supposed anti-Islam bias.  First of all, I highly doubt a mainstream venue like Netflix would produce or even promote any show or movie that had the slightest hint of anti-Islam bias. Secondly, given the hypersensitivity of PC MCs (cleverly exploited by Muslims), it's highly likely the complaints were not about any actual, existing anti-Islam bias in the series, but only such wrongly perceived.  At any rate, I avoided the show like the Corona Virus, reasonably assuming it was going to be riddled with subtle subtexts of anti-Christian, pro-Moderate-Muslim bias.  I might be interested now to take a look at maybe the first episode or two, just to see if I'm right about it.

The main point of my posting today, however, is not the main subject of that Jihad Watch article, but rather what one Jihad Watcher said in a comment there, one "Rufolino" who, as far as I can tell from looking up a few of his previous comments, is a middle-of-the-road Counter Jihadist, neither overly nougaty, nor extraordinarily robust: firmly planted in the "Them Damn Muzzies and their Infernal Islam" middle.  Here was his comment:

Moslems are not the good guys in the brilliant tv series “Homeland”. In fact I was continually astonished at the hard realism of most of this story about Islamic terrorism and the West. Made me wonder how it even got made. 

Now, "Homeland" is another mainstream show I have avoided, because I don't want to go through the annoying pain of having to watch subtly manipulative propaganda pretending to present a robustly anti-terrorist show while masquerading subliminal messages of tolerance for Muslims (joined at the hip, of course, with intolerance for any critical intolerance of Muslims).  I find it hard to believe Rufolino about this show.  I would only try watching a couple of episodes in order to gather evidence showing how Rufolino is gullibly naive and can't even detect the subliminal propaganda with which PC MC fare is laced.

If the reader wants to know why I say this, he should consult an older posting (Low Caffeine, Low Expectations) I wrote about just this phenomenon -- concerning another otherwise fairly robust anti-Islam person who yet showed signs of gullible naivety in the form of detecting robust anti-Islamness in the mainstream (specifically, in the Netflix documentary Manhunt: The Search for Bin Laden) when it's not really there. 

Indeed, it was the Jihad Watcher to whom "Rufolino" was responding (one "Christopher Watson") who I think hit it more on the mark:

After watching American series for many years the ‘innocence’ of the middle-eastern characters is constantly rammed down our throats. Whenever arab characters are depicted they are always the good guys or working under cover for the CIA or the FBI.

No comments:

Post a Comment